Monday, March 21, 2016

How I Found Hecate and Expand My Dealing With Her

One of the things that is almost always asked by others is how did you find a certain goddess? The answer is that sometimes we don’t find them sometimes they find us. But for the fact that I titled this post ‘How I found Hecate and Expanded my dealings with her’ then I’ll just talk about how I came upon her and how I worship her. Back when I first was learning about Greek religion I came upon the story about the war between the Titans and the gods. At the end of the war Zeus gave punishments, and rewards, to the Titans.

Well those that had fought against the gods ended up in Tartarus but a couple of Titans got rewards. One of them was the goddess Hecate. She was given domain over the Earth, the Sky, and the Sea. The Earth part included the Underworld. She was just an awesome goddess and one that I felt a connection with. She protected the home and she had none of the stuff that would later on be added to her. The Greeks respected what she stood for even if they didn’t want mortals to do witchcraft.
She was dark and mysterious and an outcast.

There was just something about her that I really loved but I was also a bit scared of her. She had all this power and she could be pretty scary. And then all the things that I had heard about her. Her being a crone goddess, a dark goddess, all this stuff really annoyed me. Something inside me screamed at these people to stop calling her a filthy crone. They were reading fake stories that was passing as fact. And then the most damning thing of all came from the mouth of a Hellenist. ‘I will not honor a goddess that’s connected to witches.’

I felt shattered. Why not? She can’t help it that Wiccans have adopted her. Why are you so determined to deny her the due that she wants Hellenists to give her? Why do you hate her so much?

What did she do to you?

The answer is that she’s done nothing to deserve this kind of spitting treatment. She’s a powerful goddess and her followers love her to bits. They are protective of her and don’t understand why some Hellenists are acting like a bunch of morons. Honoring her during the New Moon was the only time that I did any offerings. However I felt as though something was missing from my Hellenic worship and then I found that she was also honored during the Full Moon. So I did that.

As I honored her more and more I felt as though she needed to be given offerings every day and so I started doing that. A couple of months ago I bought a wall plaque of her. I had bought one a couple of years ago but never brought it with me. Now I had the plaque, a black candle that’s labeled with Hecate’s likeness, proper incense, and a prayer card. And then soon I’ll have a statue of her. I’m finding that Hecate is more than what Hellenist believe her to be and even New Age pagans believe her to be.

I just love her and I’m glad that I found her.

No comments:

Post a Comment